How Much Do You Know About Winter Driving?
Put your winter driving knowledge to the test with this short quiz!
1. TRUE OR FALSE - The usefulness of daytime headlights has never been established as reducing the number of traffic accidents.
2. Should you under-inflate or over-inflate your tires in cold weather or leave them at the same tire pressure as in warm weather?
3. When sliding into a skid, what is the best course of action?
a. Turn in the direction of the skid
b. Turn in the opposite direction of the skid
c. Try to steer straight ahead
4. When approaching an icy or snowy hill should you…
a. Speed up to reach the top of the hill as quickly as possible
b. Come to a complete stop then accelerate to reach the top of the hill
c. Slow down before reaching the hill and make the assent slowly and steadily
5. When coming down a snowy or icy hill, should you…
a. Come to a complete stop and then make your descent
b. Shift into a lower gear and make a slow descent
c. Use only your brakes to slow you down as you descend
6. If you are ever caught in a snowstorm and have to walk in the street, should you…
a. Walk with the traffic
b. Walk against the traffic
1. False. Every report published indicates that the use of daytime headlights reduces accidents by as much as 37%.
2. The answer is to always keep tires inflated at the level recommended by the manufacturer. Both under and over-inflation can increase the incidence of blowouts and skidding.
3. The correct answer is a. Turn in the direction of the skid. This is your best chance to restore some traction.
4. The correct answer is c. Slow and steady ascent has been proven to be the best course in ascending an ice-covered or snow-covered hill.
5. The correct answer is b. By shifting into a lower gear before descending you will gain more traction.
6. The correct answer is b. Walk facing the oncoming traffic. By doing this you are better able to alert oncoming traffic to your location and see if any cars are veering into your path. Wearing or waving bright-colored clothing is also advisable.
How did you do?
Hoselton Auto Mall
Corner of Fairport & Marsh Roads
East Rochester, New York 14445